Visit the Maritime Center
Jun 16, 2015
Have you seen the new Port Royal Sound Foundation home and Maritime Center? The Port Royal Sound Foundation has renovated the Lemon Island marina to establish an engaging and exciting educational experience – The Port Royal Sound Maritime Center. The Center features exhibits, classrooms, hands-on learning spaces and other areas where everyone can learn and celebrate the uniqueness of the Sound and have diverse and fun opportunities to experience and connect with the Port Royal Sound Area!
At the Maritime Center you can:
- Experience dynamic exhibits and the rich variety of life found in the Port Royal Sound Area – see what a 10 foot tiger shark looks like!
- Discover our amazing local marine life in a 3,000 gallon aquarium and the educational touch tanks.
- Enjoy the water by boat, kayak, canoe and more.
- Connect to the stories and rich history that make the Sound so unique.
Also, the Port Royal Sound Foundation Maritime Center offers various educational and recreational opportunities for all ages. Some programs and activities have fees associated with them to help defray the cost of material, supplies and/or leaders.
Current programs include:
- Birding for Beginners – structured exclusively for beginners, this class includes a review of the different types of water birds (wading, water fowl, shore birds) and an outdoor field experience at Widgeon Point and should provide a foundation to becoming a successful birder. Binoculars and field guides are recommended. $10/person. Reservations recommended.
- Tuesday Talks – a classroom series led by area experts on a variety of topics ranging from lowcountry plants to sharks to photographing the lowcountry.
$8/person. Reservations recommended.
- Story Time – special time and activities for preschoolers and toddlers every Wednesday at 12:30 and 1:00pm.
No charge. No reservation needed.
- Eco Boat Excursions – a scientific expedition of the Port Royal Sound area. More than a dolphin watching experience (though you’ll most likely see one or two) this is a classroom on a boat.
$40/adult and $30/child (6-11). Reservations and prepayment required.
- Kayak Tours – an up close and personal way to explore the waterways.
$40/single and $50/tandem. Children under 12 required to be in a tandem. Reservations and prepayment required.
Learn more about The Maritime Center and their calendar of events at http://portroyalsoundfoundation.org/the-maritime-center/