Hilton Head Island, Bluffton, & The Surrounding SC Lowcountry
Jun 1, 2015
1. Organize, Clean, and Declutter. When it comes to increasing the value of your home, a little OCD is okay. For less than $400 you can hire a professional cleaning service to freshen up your entire home. Also, decluttering your rooms can make them look more spacious – a HUGE selling point for potential buyers. Consider having a yard sale, or give away unwanted items to Goodwill, then put the rest in storage.
2. Lighten up! Spending as little as $400 on new light fixtures throughout your house can bring out your home’s greatest features and add as much as $1600 to the overall value of the home. If you are able to invest around $1500 in new lighting, you can return an average profit of around $7800, giving your home a value boost of over $9000! For an added bonus, go with new-age lighting technology and automated devices you can control with a smartphone.
3. Maintain and inspect. For around $100 an hour you can bring in a local designer to offer tips and suggestions for how to increase the value of your home. Repairs and general maintenance can cost around $800 but can increase the value of your home by up to $3000. Get an inspection to make sure there are no leaks in the plumbing, no electrical issues, and no problems with the septic system or HVAC.
4. Update your landscape. Your landscaping is often the first impression potential buyers have of the home. Increase curb appeal by cleaning up your yard. If left unkempt, it may give your buyer the impression that the rest of the house is just as messy. Untamed plant life can also block sunlight and create a habitat for unwanted pests.
5. Freshen up your floors. Consider either shampooing or replacing carpet, or adding hardwood floors. If your existing hardwoods are looking dull or scratched, have them refinished by a professional – or replaced, if necessary. While this may be costly, the return on investment is well worth it.
Remember, the value of your home often depends heavily on the location, fluctuation in current real estate prices, and the value of surrounding properties. To find out how much your home is worth, contact us today at 843-785-8006 or fill out this form.
If you want to make a little piece of The Island your own, you need more than just a road map and a REALTOR. You need a partner who can make things happen.
Home Sales Hit a Record-Setting Rebound
Jul 24, 2020